Dentoalveolar surgery is the treatment of diseases of the teeth, soft tissue, and the jawbone.
What are Dentoalveolar Procedures?
The most common dentoalveolar procedure is the extraction of teeth that are either badly decayed or impacted (ie. Wisdom Teeth). Other dentoalveolar procedures include:
- Reshaping the jaw for dentures (preprosthetic surgery)
- Biopsy and removal of lesions
- Controlling oral infections
- Extraction of teeth (See Figures 1 & 2)
Will I be Asleep During the Procedure?
You have several anesthetic options when undergoing dentoalveolar surgery.
- Local Anesthesia
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation (laughing gas)
- Intravenous Sedation
- General Anesthesia (asleep)
During your consultation, Dr. Cherry will discuss the various anesthetic options.